The purpose of this Kickoff Return Wedge Read Drill is for the score backfield to find their blocks and to help the return men find where the holes of the “wedge” will be.
This Drill was contributed when wedge-blocking was still legal. The Drill is still valid as it is not about getting together as a wedge of the old days but to find the right kickoff coverage player to block.
Run all three returns during this drill: Northern, Eastern, and Western. There will be a safety up field so the return man will need to make a move once he gets up field. The backfield blockers must hold their blocks until the whistle is blown.
- Wedge must set up correctly – that is it must not be a wedge with more than 2 players closer together than 3 yards
- Correct assignments of wedge players
- Blockers must hold their blocks
- Returner must make his read without slowing down
- Handshields for Defenders
This Kickoff Return Wedge Read Drill is contributed by ©2007 Randy Hedberg, at that time Head Coach at St. Cloud State University – The St. Cloud State Huskies are playing in the NCAA II North Central Conference (NCC).
Randy Hedberg is now the Associate Head Coach at the NDSU Bisons, which play in the NCAA Div I MVFC