The purpose of this Special Teams Kickoff Lane Tackle Drill is to teach and practice discipline in staying in position on Kickoff-Coverage and making an open field tackle.
Tackler starts on the numbers and takes off and sprints to the first hash and will avoid the first blocker (rip/swim).
Get back in your lane and avoid blocker.
Return man will go right or left and tackler will wrap up and make the tackle.
- Work on good technique on first blocker
- Get back into lane as soon as possible
- Don’t get out of position when avoiding second blocker
- Correct angle to returner
- Stress importance of save tackle
- Hand Shields
This Special Teams Kickoff Lane Tackle Drill is contributed by ©2007 Randy Hedberg, at that time Head Coach at St. Cloud State University – The St. Cloud State Huskies are playing in the NCAA II North Central Conference (NCC).
Randy Hedberg is now the Associate Head Coach at the NDSU Bisons, which play in the NCAA Div I MVFC