The purpose of this Running Back Pitch Drills is
- to teach and improve the pitch-phase on actual plays.
- and also to work on correct execution and timing in the pre-pitch phase of your plays.
- Mark Offensive Line with Linestrip or cones.
- Quarterback lines up behind “center”. Runningback lines up according to the play for which this pitch is to be practiced. (If with motion like on the example picture, the RB goes in motion – just as if running the play).
- On snap-count from QB the RB runs his path, QB opens according to the play and pitches the ball.
- The RB catches the pitch and continues the play until he is at least 5 yards across the LOS.
If necessary mark aim point and path.
Every back is coached and gets reps.
- Allow for several reps in a short period of time.
- Run from all positions you run pitch-plays from – always stay related to actual plays in playbook.
- Demand precision!