The purpose of this Defensive Back Intercept Tipped Pass Drill is to work on catching a tipped or deflected pass.
- Defensive Backs line up in one line at the sideline, Coach stand at the hashmark at the same yardline.
- Place a “tipper” about half way between the coach and the sideline
- On command the first Defensive Back runs towards the tipper, while the coach throws the ball within the reach of the tipper to the Defensive Back
- The “tipper” skims the ball
- The Defensive Back catches the tipped ball and runs past the coach to score
- Run full speed towards “tipper”
- Breakdown and move feet
- “Tipper” just skim the football, not a volleyball “set”
This Defensive Back Intercept Tipped Pass Drill is contributed by ©2007 Leon Criner (✝️ Nov. 14, 2014), at the time Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator and Jimmy Sims, at the time Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education / Head Football Coach at Los Angeles Valley College – The Los Angeles Valley College Monarchs played then in the Western States Conference, now in the SCFA, Southern California Football Association.