The purpose of this Defensive Back Down Hill Drill is to work on catching the football while running full speed forward towards the football.
- Defensive Backs line up in one line at the sideline
- On command, the first Defensive Back runs full speed forward towards the coach, who is standing at the hash mark at the same yardline
- After a few steps of the Defensive Back, the coach throws the ball directly at the Defensive Back so he can catch it at about chest to face level.
- The Defensive Back catches the ball and runs through past the coach to “score”
- Move forward at full speed
- Catch the ball with your hands
- Be under control
- Look the football in
- “Score” run past the coach
- Put the ball away
This Defensive Back Down Hill Drill is contributed by ©2007 Leon Criner (✝️ Nov. 14, 2014), at the time Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator and Jimmy Sims, at the time Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education / Head Football Coach at Los Angeles Valley College – The Los Angeles Valley College Monarchs played then in the Western States Conference, now in the SCFA, Southern California Football Association.