The purpose of the Quarterback Spot Throw Drill is to teach and work on the QB going through the progression to find the open receiver.
- Coach calls out specific pass play and coverage.
- Receivers position themselves on spots according to read progression.
- Coach designates open receiver.
- QB executes drop. Receivers indicate “open” or not with hands up or down.
- QB hits open receiver.
- Use one route at a time for timing purposes.
- Use Safeties kick drill (mirrored routes).
- Use Defenders to determine open receivers.
- Work eyes and feet together.
- Two hands on ball while waiting for open receiver.
- Emphasize proper footwork and timing.