The purpose of the Quarterback Set Up Drill is to work on dropbacks in combination with a quick but precise release.
- Pair up Quarterbacks facing each other at a beginning distance of 20 yards
- Quarterback takes his presnap postion (or if with centers, gets under center)
- On snap count he simulates the snap (or if with centers takes the snap)
- Then takes his 3-, 5- or 7-step drop,
- sets up
- and throws the ball to his partner.
Start at 20 yards and work to 40 with lowest possible trajectory.
Throw hard and soft.
Use centers if possible.
- If with centers – first priority: secure the ball,
- then quick drop.
- Second to last dropstep is shorter,
- QB should throw immediately after setup step, but never throw off balance.
- Concentrate on speed on getting back.
- Get depth, step up and throw to a target.
- May time drops.
- eventually Centers