Offensive Line Pass Blocking Drills
- Group Pass Protection Drills
- The Offensive Line Group Pass Protection Drills help to simulate and develop one on one protection situations.
- Mirror Drill
- The Offensive Line Mirror Drill works on developing the ability to move and maintain the proper relationship with a moving defender.
- 3 Men Kick and Punch
- The Offensive Line 3 Men Kick and Punch Drill teaches O-linemen how to kick for depth and width while maintaining their upright demeanor and deliver a punch
- Baseball Swing and Punch Drill
- The Offensive Line Baseball Swing & Punch Drill teaches the offensive linemen how to get out of their stance quickly, efficiently and ready to pass protect
- Blind Push Drill
- The Offensive Line Blind Push Drill teaches offensive lineman the upright demeanor and to have the ability to maintain his balance and power.
- Mirror Dodge Drill
- The Offensive Line Mirror Dodge Drill emphasizes the proper body/hand position, footwork, base and over all protection mechanics
2007 Mega Clinic Pass Game Notes of Trinity University HC Steven M. Mohr
Begin with a Pass Set and what it should both look and feel like
- Boxer Drill: 3″ Punch Drill from Upright Stance (Stay Relaxed)
- Feet – Slightly Wider than Armpits, Slight Stagger with outside foot back
- Knees – flexed with weight placed on the insteps,
- Back – Flattened
- Arms and Hands – elbows in and bent, hands up and fingers curled
- Head – Chin back
- Deliver short 6″ jab
- Push / Pull Drill: Defender grab OL between shoulder blades placing opposite hand into sternum. OL has hands behind back.
- Base / Balance Points of Emphasis
- Blind Man Bluff Drill:
- Emphasize Proper stance throughout. Balance and Stance are key.
- Balance / Retreat Drill: Head and Weight Back
II. Punch Drills
Incorporating the Hands in Pass Blocking (Gloves)
- Stationary Punch:
- Short, 6″ upward punch. Emphasize timing and proper blow delivery
- Machine Gun Drill: (Shackles)
- Timing – Arm / Elbow Extension. Upward Angle on Blow
- 3 Man Recognition Drill:
- Reaction and Delivery of Punch
- Walk and Punch:
- Timing – Position of Hands – Target
III. Medicine Balls
- Partner Prone Position Drill: Reaction – Hands Away from Sternum
- Partner Shuffle Drill: Keeping Hands Up – Reacting to Moving Object
- Partner Stance Drill: Quickness of Hand Positioning and Timing
IV: Mirror Dodge Drills
- Blind Man Drill: Contact and Pressure
- Mirror Dodge Retreat: No Hands / Incorporate Hands
- Mirror Dodge Side to Side: No Hands / Incorporate Hands
V. Pass Sets: Begin on Air (Cones)
- Tackles: Angle of Departure – Emphasize Depth of Set
- Guards: Covered vs. Uncovered – Inside / Outside or Head Up â€“ Head (Eyes) Always Inside
- Centers: Drop Step Based on Width of DL – Hand Positioning
- All: Inside Move by DL – Twists – Stunts, etc.
This is contributed by ©2007 Steve Mohr, at the time Head Coach at Trinity University – He retired after the 2013 season. – The Trinity Tigers are playing in the NCAA III – Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC).