The purpose of this Defensive Secondary Intercept and Return Team Drill is to teach and work on switching from coverage to blocking for the ballcarrier.
Description and Coaching Points
- Coach signals routes to all receivers
- Receivers run routes and all secondary covers
- Coach then signals direction of interception
- DDefensive Back nearest interception blocks nearest stand-up dummy
- EEveryone turns back to ball carrier and blocks designated stand-up dummy
- 11 Stand-up dummies
- Alternatively additional players with hand shields
This Defensive Secondary Intercept and Return Team Drill is contributed by ©2007 Leon Criner (✝️ Nov. 14, 2014), at the time Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator and Jimmy Sims, at the time Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education / Head Football Coach at Los Angeles Valley College – The Los Angeles Valley College Monarchs played then in the Western States Conference, now in the SCFA, Southern California Football Association.