The purpose of the Defensive Line Get Up and Go Drill is to work on getting quickly into a good hit positon to make a secure tackle.
Description & Coaching Points
- Two defensive linemen lie down on their backs, head to head, 2 yrds apart, use dummies or pylons to mark the boundary.
- On command, both defensive line men jump to their feet
- Tacklers makes a good form tackle on ball carrier
- Ball carrier must run between dummies/pylons.
- Defensive Line Tackler must move his feet all the time and stay in front of the ball carrier
The Defensive Line Get Up and Go Drill is contributed by ©2007 Leon Criner (✝️ Nov. 14, 2014), at the time Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator and Jimmy Sims, at the time Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education / Head Football Coach at Los Angeles Valley College – The Los Angeles Valley College Monarchs played then in the Western States Conference, now in the SCFA, Southern California Football Association.