The purpose of this Defensive Line One on One Read Drill is to work on and automate the correct reaction to the different blocking attempts of the offensive linemen.
Description & Coaching Points
- Coach gives direction to Offensive Line
- Defensive Linemen assume their proper stance
- Coach “snaps” the ball
- Get off on snap with correct foot
- Take a six inch step. Don’t stand up!!
- Get off at a good pad level
- Read the helmet direction of the offensive lineman
- Use your hands, lockout
These Defensive Line One on One Read Drills are contributed by ©2007 Leon Criner, Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator and Jimmy Sims, Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education / Head Football Coach at Los Angeles Valley College – The Los Angeles Valley College Monarchs play in the Western States Conference (COA).