The purpose of the Defensive Line Block Recognition Drills is to teach and practice to recognize the block the offense tries to set and how to fight and escape it.
- 2 to 3 offenders and 1 defender, depending on what blocks we will simulate.
- Coach will point out the blocking scheme to the offenders and the offense will execute, while the defender reacts to the blocks.
- We will alway finish the drill with an escape.
BIG BALL DOUBLE TEAM
- The big ball will act as the post player and an offender will act as the drive block.
- Coach will roll the big ball at the defender, simultaneously, the offender will simulate the post and release, by placing his hands on the hips of the defender.
- The defender will work his hip technique into the drive block until he feels the offender release.
- He will use his hands and work around the ball.
- When the offender releases, the defender will finish with an escape.
BIG BALL POWER SCOOP
- We will play the backside cut block by collision with the big ball and we will finish by working down the line.
BIG ARM SLIDE THE HIP
- This drill will sumulate playing the reach or zone blocking scheme.
- The key is to start off in a defeated position and make the defender work back to his gap responsibility by using the big arm and slide the hip.
- We will finish with an escape.
- don’t allow defenders to cheat
- stress good body position and good technique
- Big Ball