The purpose of this Defensive Back Open Field Form Tackling Drill is to teach and improve the open field tackling technique and abilities.
Description and Coaching Points
- Ball carrier and Defensive Back run at 3/4 speed
- Ball carrier gives one or two moves
- Ball carrier breaks right or left at cone
- Defensive Backs can’t “throw” and miss
- Defensvie Backs runs forward to the cone
- Defensive Backs breaks down and feet moving
- Defensive Backs’ eyes on ball carrier’s belt buckle
- Defensive Backs take cutoff angle to ball carrier
- Defensive Backs don’t “flail” arms
- You are the last line of defense
- 4 Cones
This Defensive Back Open Field Form Tackling Drill is contributed by ©2007 Leon Criner (✝️ Nov. 14, 2014), at the time Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator and Jimmy Sims, at the time Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education / Head Football Coach at Los Angeles Valley College – The Los Angeles Valley College Monarchs played then in the Western States Conference, now in the SCFA, Southern California Football Association.