The purpose of these Defensive Back Man Maker Drills is to work on fighting off or avoiding low and high blocks and making an open field tackle from inside out.
Description and Coaching Points
- 1st blocker scramble blocks Defensive Back
- 2nd blocker arc and “cut” Defensive Back
- Ball carriers try to get outside or turn up
- Defensive Backs stay in good hit position
- Use hands, shed scramble block
- Scramble block is full speed
- Defensive Backs keep outside arm and leg free
- Defensive Backs shed cut block of #2 blocker
- Defensive Backs keep your eyes on blockers
- Make inside out tackle on ball carrier
These Defensive Back Man Maker Drills is contributed by ©2007 Leon Criner (✝️ Nov. 14, 2014), at the time Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator and Jimmy Sims, at the time Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education / Head Football Coach at Los Angeles Valley College – The Los Angeles Valley College Monarchs played then in the Western States Conference, now in the SCFA, Southern California Football Association.