The purpose of this Defensive Back Shuffle Drill is to work on and improve the footwork for the shuffle while at the same time work on quickness.
- Put 2 cones on two yardlines each. Marking a distance of about 5 yards.
- Two Defensive Backs line up at a cone – one at each yardline.
- Upon command the shuffle as quickly as they can to the other cone and back.
- Feet shoulder width apart
- Bend the knees
- Don’t “false” steps
- Chin over toes
- Shoulders over knees
- DBs face each other
- This IS a race
- Stay square, don’T turn
- Relax your arms and shoulders
- Move in a straight line
- Never cross feet
- Full speed through finish line
- 4 cones
This Defensive Back Shuffle Drill is contributed by ©2007 Leon Criner (✝️ Nov. 14, 2014), at the time Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator and Jimmy Sims, at the time Assistant Professor of Health & Physical Education / Head Football Coach at Los Angeles Valley College – The Los Angeles Valley College Monarchs played then in the Western States Conference, now in the SCFA, Southern California Football Association.